When you think about cannabis-infused recipes, the first ingredient that may come to mind is cannabutter (cannabis-infused butter). It’s the most common form of cannabis extract commonly used to bake edibles like brownies and cookies. Since the spotlight has been on cannabutter for the longest time, it’s time to pay more attention to cannabis oil. Cannabis oil is the best alternative to cannabutter and may even be the healthier choice. It is very versatile and easy to make. It can be used for various medicinal purposes and also in hundreds of food recipes. In this article, we’ll be discussing the simple ways to make your own THC or cannabis oil and some of our favorite recipes.
How to Make Cannabis-Infused Oil?
Cannabis oil is simply made by heating and infusing cannabis in a carrier oil. The psychoactive components in cannabis like CBD and THC dissolve very quickly in oil and butter. This lipophilic (fat-soluble) property makes it easier to infuse these compounds in the carrier oil.
If you are wondering what type of oil to use for cannabis infusion, well, that’s up to you. You can decide to infuse cannabis in any oil of your choice. Olive oil and coconut oil are the most common types of oil used because of their nourishing properties and pleasant taste. Cannabis infusion occurs more readily with coconut oil than olive oil because it has a higher concentration of saturated fat, which binds very easily with cannabinoids.
When you’re preparing to make your own cannabis oil, the first step is to decarboxylate the cannabis. Decarboxylation is a process of heating up cannabis to activate the cannabinoid components of the herb. Cannabinoid compounds in raw cannabis, THCA, and CBDA, are in their inactive form until it’s been heated, like when you light cannabis in a joint or vaporize. The inactive compounds are then converted to THC and CBD, which are the psychoactive component of the herb.
Supplies for Making Cannabis oil
- 1 cup of ground decarboxylated cannabis. Weight out 7 – 10 grams of cannabis and loosely grind it up.
- 1 cup coconut oil or any oil of your choice
- Double boiler or slow cooker
- Glass bowl
- Fine mesh strainer
- Storage container
Steps to follow
- First step is to decarboxylate your cannabis. Decarboxylated cannabis is one with activated cannabinoids. Grind or tear it into pieces and spread evenly on a baking sheet. Place in the oven and heat it at 250°F for about 30 minutes.
- In your double boiler, add water to the bottom pan and a cup of coconut oil to the top section. Heat up until it melts.
- Pour the decarboxylated cannabis in the melted oil. You could add a few grams of ground raw cannabis.
- Heat the cannabis and the oil on low heat for 30 to 60 minutes and stir occasionally. If you have a thermometer, you can use it to monitor the heat and maintain a temperature around 130 to 150°F.
- After infusing for an hour, line the mesh strainer with a cheesecloth and place it over a bowl. Pour the oil and cannabis mixture into the bowl through the strainer. Gently squeeze the excess oil from the cheesecloth.
- Transfer the cannabis oil from the bowl into a storage jar. It’s best to store a tightly closed glass container like a mason jar with a lid. Store the cannabis-infused oil in a cool area or the refrigerator.
Interesting THC Oil Recipes
Grilled Peach Pot Salad
- 4 large peaches
- 4 cups of salad greens
- cup soft cheese or goat cheese
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ¼ cup cannabis oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Brown sugar
- Cut the peaches into half and coat with coconut oil.
- Heat up your grill on low to medium heat. Place alumina, foil flat on the grill.
- When the grill is warm, arrange your peaches on the foil and grill until they are warm. You can mix up the dressing ingredients; cannabis oil, vinegar, and brown sugar.
- Place the salad greens in a bowl and top it with blackberries.
- Take the peaches off the grill and allow them to cool for about 2 minutes. Cut them up into smaller pieces and arrange on the salad. You can top it with the dressing, cheese, and sunflower seeds. Enjoy!
Cannabis-Infused Pork Chops
- 4 center-cut pork loin chops
- 1 dash pepper and dash salt
- 4 tablespoon cannabis oil
- ½ cup cannabutter
- 4 tablespoon BBQ Sauce
- Prep the pork chops a day before with your cannabis oil, salt, and pepper by coating each piece and place in a fridge overnight.
- Place each piece of pork chop on the grill and cook for 10-12 minutes and turn every 3-4 minutes until it’s tender.
- Coat and layer the BBQ sauce a few minutes before you take the chops off the grill.
- Set each piece of pork chops on a plate and spread a layer of cannabis butter over each piece. You could sprinkle salt and pepper if you want.
For more on THC oil and edibles, read