If you’re a gardener or enjoy gardening, you will know that there are times when a particular plant is doing better than the others or is more abundant than the other plants. It might be a cornstalk or a rose bush that looks incredibly beautiful and flourishes more than the other plants in your garden.
Whether you plan on selling the plants or you just want to seize the opportunity to make your garden flourish, then you might have to consider cloning the flourishing plant. Cloning the plant can serve as a way for you to preserve its genetic superiority.
A cloning machine might sound like something out of a science fiction movie, but they are actually excellent and helpful pieces of technology. They allow you to make genetic copies of a plant that are precisely identical. Cloning machines were made to imitate the environmental conditions that the plants need to flourish. This allows the cloning machine to fasten their growth and reduce the growth process by half the regular percentage it takes for the plant to grow, and before you know it, the plants are grown.
This is only possible if you have one of the best cloning machines at your disposal. However, there are somethings that you need to know about cloning machines before you can purchase the best one for your needs.
BUYER’S GUIDE FOR THE BEST CLONING MACHINE
A cloning machine is a wonderful way to reproduce or make a clone of a plant you love. However, finding the best cloning machine means you need to know how a cloning machine works and the best types’ features.
What Is A Cloning Machine
A cloning machine is a tool that gardeners use to replicate a favourite plant or crop. Cloning machines usually come in square and round shapes, the machine also comes with a pump, spray nozzles and a mixture of nutrients. You will find circular holes on the machine that where you can put the plant cutting that you intend on cloning.
Different cloning machines come with a few cloning sites where you can place the cuttings of the plant, it can be a few cloning sites, or it could be a lot. Once the cuttings are placed in the cloning sites, they are then treated with a water mist that is highly oxygenated using the nutrients and pump system the machine comes with. There are other ways to clone a plant without using the aeroponic or hydroponic cloning machine, but they take much longer. It also requires a more intensive process that needs you to be more hands-on because the environment may be unstable due to the fact that it is not regulated by a cloning machine.
Is A Cloning Machine Really Necessary
You might be wondering if you really need a cloning machine and if the pros outweigh the cons. One of the reasons a cloning machine is so useful is that it reduces the time spent replicating a plant by half. It also gives you the freedom to do other things, as you won’t have to be watching the clippings 24/7 or have to check the nutrients or environment constantly. The rate of your cloning process will become 100 percent successful for the rooting; this gives you a higher rate than the traditional methods will let you achieve.
How To Use A Cloning Machine
It is important that you learn how a cloning machine works so that you can choose the best one that will be beneficial to your needs. Let us take a close look at how they function.
- To set up your cloning machine properly, you need to thoroughly read through the instruction manual that comes with the machine because different manufacturers have different setup methods. You will need to do things such as filling the machine up with water and attaching the mister and pump. Always check again to make sure the misters are correctly covering the surface area of the machine’s lid. Choose a nutrient mix that suits you and add it into the machine at the first stage. the water you use has to be measured around 18 to 20 degrees Celsius or 65 to 68 degrees Fahrenheit in temperature
- Setting The Environment Up For Cloning: The air inside the plant cloner has to be very humid, if it is less than 60 percent of humidity, you will have to use a mister or a humidity dome. For the best results, you need to keep the temperature at about 70 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit. You also have to watch over the nutrient solution. It is quite easy to maintain the nutrient solution at a temperature of about 20 degrees Celsius or 68 degrees Fahrenheit, just ensure that the system’s pump doesn’t overheat the reservoir
- Transplanting The Cuttings: After you have gotten the cuttings from the crop or plant you wish to replicate, simply place them inside the neoprene discs that come with the cloning machine. Ensure that the stems of the cuttings are about two inches under the neoprene disc. Doing this will ensure that the mister will touch enough of the cutting’s surface for it to be effective
- Care For The Cutting: if your cutting end up looking droopy at the start of the process, do not become worried. The cuttings have to get used to no longer having roots. If it still concerns you that the cuttings look like they are wilting, you can use the mister to spray them with a foliar spray. The roots should start developing in about two days. The roots should have a bright white colour, that is the sign that the root is healthy. If the roots have a brown or greyish colour, it could mean that the temperature is too warm for the cuttings to survive. You should see the development of secondary roots in about ten days, once the development of the secondary roots begins, you can transplant your plant cuttings.
FACTORS TO BE CONSIDERED BEFORE PURCHASING A CLONING MACHINE
Cloning a plant might seem like a complicated process because you would be growing your plant at a faster rate than they would grow in soil, but you don’t have to worry, it isn’t difficult to perform.
It is quite easy to assemble a cloning machine as long as you follow the instruction manual correctly. Once both the machine and plant are ready, you just have to wait for the roots to mature and the plant to develop. Factors such as the growth rate, temperature and cleanliness have to be watched for the plant to develop properly.
There are several important factors to consider before purchasing a plant cloning system, let’s take a look at some of these factors that will help you purchase the best version well suited for your needs.
Types Of Cloning System
When it comes to cloning systems, there are two types of plant cloning machines. The two versions of the machine are the Deep Water Culture (also known as the Aeroponic system) and the Ebb and Flow system ( also known as the hydroponic system). The DWC machines are easy to use and are great for the individuals that are new to plant cloning.
The Deep Water Culture has the nutrient needed by the plants stored inside the tanks. The nutrients are turned into an oxygenated solution inside the water; the solution is then sprayed on the roots of the cuttings so that they can easily be absorbed. It does not need a pump; all you need to do is insert the cuttings. This allows them to grow properly as they are constantly provided with the right amount of nutrients they need to grow and thrive. This method requires little work, and it also reduces the chances of any bacterial or fungal growth. It is also easier to maintain compared to the hydroponic machine.
The Ebb and Flow system is a more advanced method of plant cloning. It works as a true hydroponic system. This cloning machine has a reservoir filled with water; the water is then filled with the necessary nutrients the plant needs to grow. A pump inside the reservoir ensures that the water stays fresh and clean while the roots are growing; it also requires temperature control to ensure it works properly. It might take a longer time for the cuttings to grow and it is also a harder system to maintain as there is a greater chance of bacteria, fungus and algae developing on the surface of the water or in the corners of the tank. This method might be harder to maintain, but it reduces the growth time significantly.
Space Of Site And Size
When it comes to the number of sites, it depends on your personal preference and your gardening needs. The number of sites you have will determine the number of plant cuttings you can grow at a time. If you’re a beginner to plant cloning, a few sites should be enough for your needs.
The different sites are where you insert the plant cuttings. They have to be placed snugly inside the site with no space to squirm if not the cuttings may drown in the water. The site’s size will determine the size of the seedling that will fit into the site without any space. You will not be able to grow trees, but some sites will be able to grow shrubbery roots and flowers.
Another important factor to consider is the space between the sites. If your sites are too close, it may cause your cuttings to crumple against each other due to the pressing. The sites inserts are usually made from a soft foam-like material that holds the plants in place and prevents them from falling into the water. The material can be fungi and bacteria safe, but if not, ensure that you get replacements before your next batch of cuttings. They should be adjustable and soft, not frigid. If not, the plant will not grow out naturally.
The size of the cloning machine’s bucket also affects the number of plants you can grow at a time. Cloning machines that have a big bucket give you enough space for your plants, and it also makes transplanting easier and more convenient. The smaller buckets make it harder to transplant.
The deeper the bucket, the deeper the roots have to grow, improving their development. It’s not the best thing for your roots to get used to small spaces. If they get accustomed to small spaces, it will make the transition from the cloning machine to the soil very uncomfortable, and it may cause the seedlings to die off.
The Best Cloning Machines Are Reviewed Below
TurboKIone Elite 96 Site Growing Environment Aeroponic Cloner System
The TurboKlone T96 cloning system is able to accommodate 96 cuttings at a time. It comes in a kit that includes a starters guide on how to use the system. It also features a submersible pump that allows it to have a fine continuous spray. The spray provides the cuttings with the nutrients and oxygen they need to grow secondary roots properly. It also comes with a fan that ensures the temperature stays constant in order for the cuttings to develop correctly.
- Reinforced and upgraded basin
- A large in-built cooling system
- Heat resistant coating
- Increased fan power
- Color grid system
- Brand: TurboKIone
- Model: TurboKIone Elite 96 Aeroponic Cloner System
- Color: Grey with coloured sites
- It is easy to understand and use
- It is durable and easy to maintain
- It comes with a submersible pump
- It can hold 96 cuttings at a time
- The fan may not be sufficient enough to keep the temperature stable
Hydrofarm 7.5 Inch Dome Jump Start CK64060 Hot House With Heat Mat
This cloning machine is about 7 inches high, and this allows it to hold tall and large cuttings, it gives your plant a larger growing and breathing space. It can hold up to 72 cuttings in its 11 * 22 inches watertight base tray. It is electric powered and uses up to 120 volts or 17 watts. It also comes with a heat mat to keep the temperature right.
- 7-inch dome
- 11 * 22 inches watertight base tray
- 72 sites
- Heat mat
- Brand: Hydryofarm (Jump Start)
- Model: Hydrofarm 7.5 Inch Dome Jump Start CK64060
- Weight: 2.6 Pounds
- Dimensions: 22 * 11 * 8 inches
- It can fit 72 cuttings and also tall plants
- It comes with a heat mat
- It can grow flowers
- It features proper ventilation for proper humidity
- The material used to make the lid is flimsy
CLONE KING 36 Site Aeroponic Cloning Machine
This cloning machine comes in a complete set that includes a reservoir, 36 sites, spray manifold with misters, a lid, inserts and submersible pump. It comes with 13 spray heads for the best coverage of your plants. This machine works by suspending the plants and constantly spraying them with an oxygenated aeroponic mist that gives the plants the nutrition they need. It about 30 minutes to assemble this machine and you can start replicating your favourite plant. Secondary roots should begin to develop in 10 to 14 days, which means they are ready to be transplanted.
- 36 sites
- Complete set
- Comes with 13 spray heads
- Comes with a detailed instructors manual
- Brand: CLONE KING
- Model: CLONE KING 36 Site Aeroponic Cloning Machine
- Weight: 5 Pounds
- Dimensions: 13.75 * 13.75 * 12.5 inches
- It has 13 spray heads for maximum coverage
- It delivers results quickly
- Everything you need comes with the set
- It is easy to assemble and use
- The system makes the machine’s temperature hotter than the room
CLONE KING 64 Site Aeroponic Cloning Machine
The Clone King 64 site aeroponic cloning machine uses an aeroponic system that makes roots grow faster, and it can hold 64 cuttings at once. It comes with everything you will need to start replicating your favourite plant. It has the important inserts, mist sprayer, submersible pump, 64 sites and a reservoir. It is entirely organic and has no hormones or chemicals.
- Comes with detailed instructions on assembly and usage
- Comes with 25 spray heads
- Completely organic
- 64 site system
- Brand: CLONE KING
- Model: CLONE KING 64 Site Aeroponic Cloning Machine
- Weight: 14 Pounds
- Dimensions: 18 * 16 * 18 inches
- It is affordable
- It comes with everything you need
- It is easy to operate
- It is completely organic, so you need not worry
- It the system is not cleaned between uses, the roots may start to rot
Hydrofarm OX20SYS OxyCLONE 20 Site
If you require a cloning machine that can get you some fast grown plants, then consider this Hydrpfarm model. It can hold 20 cuttings at a time. It is compact and small, which makes it easy to fit into any place in your home. You can simply place it on a countertop and leave it to do its job without any stress.
This machine is constructed from food-grade BPA-free plastic, and this keeps your plants even safer. You can also plant cuttings from vegetables and fruits and have no worries about contamination. It is made to provide maximum oxygenation; it also uses an evaporative cooling method to cool down the plants’ retained heat.
This machine uses the hydroponic method instead of the aeroponic method. It allows the plants to grow quicker and more naturally. It receives the adequate amount of oxygen and water it needs from is Active Aqua pump.
- 20 site system
- Made from food-grade BPA-free plastic
- Evaporative cooling
- Maximum oxygenation
- Powered with an Active Aqua pump
- Brand: Hydrofarm OX20SYS OxyCLONE 20 Site
- Model: Hydrofarm OX20SYS OxyCLONE 20 Site
- Weight: 5.25 Pounds
- Dimensions: 13.75 * 10.75 * 6.25 inches
- It has a lower chance of clogging or leaking
- It uses evaporative cooling to reduce retained heat
- Its Active Aqua pump provides the plants with water and oxygen
- Its inserts are anti-bacterial and anti-fungal
- It doesn’t come with a lid
Buying Guide Questions
What is a plant cloning machine? What is the best cloning machine?
A plant cloning machine allows you to create replica’s of your favourite plant either for sale or personal use. They are made of circular boxes or plastic squares with a pump that provides adequate nutrients through an aeroponic spray nozzle.
Our pick for the best cloning system is the TurboKIone Elite 96 Site Growing Environment Aeroponic Cloner System.
Do cloning machines work? How do you clone with a clone machine?
Yes, cloning machines give you a success rate of about 100% if you do everything right.
Can I take a clone from a clone? Do clones lose potency?
Yes, clones can be grown from clones or clone of a clone.
No, clones do not lose their potency; it will be an exact copy of the mother plant.
How do you build a hydroponic clone system?
How do you use Olivia’s clone solution?
Mix 6 ounces of the solution into a gallon of water, then take your cuttings and place them in the mixture. Continue to water the plant with the mixture until the roots start to grow.
How do you use Turbo clone?
Can you clone a male plant?
Yes, you can clone a male plant. Clones are made up of the same genetic material as the mother plant, so you can only get a male clone from a male mother plant.
What is aeroponic cloning?
Cloning your high performing plant is a great way to ensure that your garden thrives and is functional. Using a cloning system allows you to reproduce your best-growing plants. There are many options for cloning systems, but your specific needs will allow you to choose the best one for your needs.
We hope that this article has been helpful to you and it has answered some of your queries regarding cloning machines.
(Best Trim Trays For Your Buds)