Table of Contents
Cannabis has gone a long way since the moment it has been legalized in some parts of the world. There have been many benefits discovered, and one of them is their proven effect to combat anxiety. Each person can experience anxiety differently, and fortunately, various types of cannabis can be suitable to match the symptoms of anxiety that you might be having. Whether you are searching for something to address OCD, PTSD, or generalized anxiety disorder, we assure you that there is a cannabis strain that is fit to do the job. It is important to know and identify your symptoms before you choose to proceed with cannabis consumption. It is also equally important that you become familiar with the strains recommended for anxiety so that you will be able to choose which will be best for you.
What is anxiety?
Anxiety is our body’s natural response to external stimuli like stress, and this manifests as a feeling of fear or apprehension about what is there to come. Generally, there is no need to worry if you feel anxious since it is a normal response. However, if your feelings of anxiety are extreme, can last for months, and negatively affects your day to day living, then you might have an anxiety disorder that needs to be addressed.
Again, it is normal to feel anxious, and it can be very unpleasant, but normal anxiety may motivate you to be better and work harder. Typically, normal anxiety comes and goes and should not be interfering with your everyday life. When it comes to anxiety disorder, the feeling can be very overwhelming, intense, and disturbing. This type of anxiety is not healthy and should be treated to keep it from getting worse.
Marijuana and anxiety
The usage of cannabis or marijuana for anxiety can still be controversial because they can have different effects on people. Weed can cause distress or paranoia, especially when taken in large doses and can even cause panic attacks. That is why it is important that you consult an expert or your physician if you plan on using marijuana medicinally to address certain conditions, including anxiety.
A study on the effects of cannabis on anxiety, stress, and depression has been published in 2018 and has made a significant breakthrough in the medical marijuana industry. The study proved that cannabis users perceived a 58% reduction in anxiety and a 50% reduction in depression. All in all, it will still come down to the right balance and dosage of the cannabis you consume, as well as the appropriate strain. Therefore, you must consult your doctor before considering marijuana as a treatment for anxiety.
THC vs CBD strains for anxiety
You must be able to determine whether you want THC, CBD, or a combination of the two. If you have decided, you can now choose a specific strain that can match your needs. If you want to, you can also explore the different terpenes of your preferred strain. Terpenes are the aromatic compounds found in cannabis that is responsible for each strain’s unique flavor, aroma, and effects.
The THC level in cannabis is very common and much higher. This active ingredient in cannabis can produce the euphoric high that is associated with cannabis. Some people say that THC’s intoxicating effects can be relaxing, while other users can be very sensitive to them and even trigger anxiety.
CBD is more gentle and tends to be less common in marijuana. However, CBD content is highly recommended for anxiety relief. This will work best, especially for people who are new to cannabis or those who solely use marijuana for medical purposes. CBC is also great for people who are looking for little to no euphoric high at all.
Best weed strains for anxiety
The White Widow is a sativa dominant hybrid, a South Indian indica and a South American sativa. This strain was one of the first famous European strains to reach America. It has a THC content between 18% and 25% and a CBD level of 0.2%. This strain is known for its full-bodied high, making it a popular choice for patients who are suffering from anxiety and PTSD. This strain is very potent and not recommended for novice users; it is also known to provide a perfect blend of euphoria and stimulation that relieves various mood disorders.
This medical marijuana strain is a sativa dominant hybrid that is known for its energetic effects. It has a higher level of THC that can lead to psychoactive impacts; however, this strain is very effective in reducing anxiety symptoms. The Amnesia Haze is a mixture of Afghani Indica, Cambodian Sativa, and Jamaican Landrace. This strain can give you a bit of an intense head high; however, the high is till mellow and relaxing that you can enjoy this hit before bedtime. Aside from its THC content, the Amnesia Haza contains high limonene that adds to its ability to control anxiety and uplift the mood.
This strain can work well even for beginners or people who have low cannabis tolerance since this is a mellow and very relaxing marijuana strain. The Sour OG can be the perfect choice to address anxiety because it only has THC levels of 13% to 17%. Because of its conservative content, this strain is less likely to cause side effects than more potent strains. The Sour OG is a balanced combination of OG Kush and Sour Diesel.
You may have heard a lot about this strain since this is a very famous cannabis strain. The GDP or Granddaddy Purple by Ken Estes is a cross of Big Bud and Purple Urke. This strain is commonly used by people who want to deal with anxiety and is wildly popular among people who need an effective stress-buster after a busy day. This strain is an indica dominant hybrid that delivers potent psychoactive effects combined with cerebral euphoria and intense relaxation. This has a THC content of 23%, so you have to be careful when using this strain.
The Chocolate Chunk is a flavorful and aromatic strain that many people love. This strain is one of the good marijuana strains for anxiety and insomnia as well. This strain is best used during the evening because the Chocolate Chunk has a strong sedative effect that helps calm you down so that you can have a restful sleep. This is composed of 20% THC and 0.6% CBD with terpenes known to relax muscles, promote sleep, alleviate pain, and lower anxiety.
This strain is truly a euphoric medical indica dominant marijuana strain. Northern Lights is one of the most renowned strains out there because of its effectiveness in managing anxiety, pain and even address insomnia. This strain brings a blissful high paired with a couch-lock effect that relaxes your muscles and slows your brain down. The overall impact of the Northern Lights is indeed very mellow and calming.
The Therapeutic Potential of Cannabis Strains for Anxiety:
- Understanding the Components: Cannabis contains various cannabinoids and terpenes, each contributing to its effects. Strains high in CBD (Cannabidiol) are often preferred for anxiety relief due to their non-psychoactive properties. THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol), while therapeutic, can have psychoactive effects and should be used cautiously.
- Effective Cannabis Strains:
- ACDC: Known for its high CBD content, it offers relaxation without a strong high.
- Granddaddy Purple: A THC-dominant strain that eases stress and tension.
- Northern Lights: Popular for its sedative properties, ideal for relaxation.
- Jack Herer: A mood-boosting strain, suitable for daytime use.
- Critical Cure: A relaxing strain helpful in soothing tense muscles and calming thoughts.
- Terpenes and Their Role: Terpenes like Myrcene, Linalool, and Beta-caryophyllene play a significant role in enhancing the anxiolytic effects of cannabis.
Legal Considerations and Usage Guidelines
- Legal Landscape in 2024: Cannabis laws are constantly changing. As of 2024, states like California, New York, and Nevada have implemented new policies regarding cannabis use, including changes in possession limits and employment rights for cannabis users.
- Medical vs. Non-Medical Cannabis: Medical cannabis is subject to stricter quality controls and standardization compared to non-medical cannabis. It’s essential to understand the differences, especially in terms of dosage, administration, and legal standing.
- Consulting Healthcare Professionals: Before using cannabis for anxiety, consult a healthcare professional for a personalized treatment plan. Different strains and components (CBD vs. THC) can have varying effects, and professional guidance is crucial in finding the most effective and safe approach.
- Responsible Usage: Start with a low dose, especially if new to cannabis use. Be aware of potential side effects and avoid mixing cannabis with alcohol or other CNS depressants. Additionally, stay informed about the legal status of cannabis in your region.
We do understand that the relationship between cannabis and anxiety is a complicated one. However, there is no doubt that cannabis can help you manage your anxiety disorders and the symptoms that come with it with the right balance and usage. Many researchers have proven that medical marijuana is a good and natural treatment that can help people suffering from anxiety and chronic strains. We hope that you have found one that can work perfectly for you with the best strains listed above. Melt that anxiety away and live your life to the fullest with the help of medical marijuana.