Growing cannabis can be complicated, especially if you are new to the process. It takes a delicates process that needs you to shower it with a lot of attention and care, most especially during the early stages of growth. If you’re growing cannabis, you’ll have to ensure that the regulation of its environment is suitable for the plant to produce high-quality buds.
There are two ways you can propagate cannabis. It can be done through seed germination or plant cloning. Modern innovations have made growing cannabis much easier for growers, but that doesn’t mean there are no cons when using these techs. Growing cannabis has been made more straightforward thanks to the use of propagation kits.
When you are cultivating your cannabis, it is important that you own the best propagation kit. These kits come in different styles and forms, but they all help you achieve a common goal. Using propagation kits ensures that your seeds start to sprout in a short period, and they also contribute to the overall health of your plant, thanks to the controlled environment they are exposed to. However, you should know that not every propagation kit will deliver the same outcome. Choosing the right propagation kit can be challenging, except you’re an expert.
You have to consider multiple factors to choose the best propagation kit for growing your cannabis. But don’t worry, we have done all the research.
FACTORS TO TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION WHEN CHOOSING A PROPAGATION KIT FOR GROWING WEED
You can’t just walk into a store and pick the first propagation kit you find. It is important that you get a kit with features that will be favorable for growing your weed. This is why there are various factors you need to take into consideration before choosing a propagation kit. Let’s take a look at these factors.
Conducive And Controlled Environment
A good quality propagation kit should be able to provide you with a conducive environment for growing your weed. It should maintain the right humidity, airflow, and temperature. When it comes to airflow, ensure that you get one that has vents. The vents help to regulate the humidity and temperature.
If you intend to use the kit to grow weed, you should go for one with heat mats. These mats keep the soil warm, and this provides your plants with a conducive environment to grow.
Number Of Plants
Different propagation kits have varying capabilities when it comes to the number of plants they can house. So before you choose a kit, ensure you consider the number of plants you intend on growing.
If you intend to grow a few plants, you can choose a small kit, but if you want to grow numerous weed plants, it will be best to go for a large kit. There are kits that can house up to 72 plants while others house less, so choose the one that suits your needs.
To get value for your money, you should go for a propagation kit that can be reused. You shouldn’t have to buy a new propagation kit every time you want to grow your weed. Purchase a high-quality kit that can be reused multiple times.
After harvesting your plants, you should be able to wash and reuse the kit. Durable kits are usually made from a strong plastic material that won’t warp or crack. These types of materials can withstand pressure and high impact from your plants.
Outdoor Or Indoor
Another factor you have to consider is where you intend on placing the propagation kit. Some work great indoor, while others are better outdoors. If you like growing your plants indoors, then look for a kit that features grow lights. This will provide your plants with the proper light for photosynthesis. However, if you intend on using your kit outside, you don’t need to buy one with grow lights.
The cost is an important factor to consider; you need to know how much you’re willing to spend before finding the real kit. You have to consider the cost of planting your weed in a kit. You need to consider the cost of nutrients, electricity, and other accessories that the kit will need.
A kit might be cheap but use fluorescent lights that will increase your electricity bill. Some kits are expensive, but they come with the lights, nutrients, and everything you need to grow your plants. That is why it is important to consider the long term cost before choosing a kit.
Tips For A Successful Propagation
For any beginner, using a propagation kit to grow cannabis can be quite intimidating. The manufacturer might provide you with a detailed instruction manual, but that may not be enough. Below are some tips you can follow that you may find helpful.
- You can propagate cannabis in two ways, either by seeds or clones. Seed takes a long time because they have to grow from scratch. However, clones are much quicker, but it has a rigorous process that requires your constant attention for it to be successful.
- Another vital thing to know is the time for the seed germination. In most cases with seed, the root tip should appear within 36 to 96 hours. In two weeks, the root hairs should be visible, and the plant should be fully grown in 21 to 30 days.
- In order for the seeds to germinate, it is vital that you soak them in water. As the moisture penetrates the seed, it will aid the activation of the dominant hormones. It also helps to soften the seed coat, making it easier for the root hairs to develop.
- Another crucial aspect to keep your eyes on is the temperature. Most propagation kits include a heat mat to help regulate the temperature inside the kit. The best temperature range to help improve cannabis growth is between 70 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit. The seeds germination process might be delayed if the temperature is too low. Also, the seed chemistry may be affected if the temperature is too high; it will also comprise the quality of the cannabis.
- Ensure that you pay close attention to the mother plant’s health. If you use an unhealthy clone or seed, then expect that the outcome will be just as unhealthy. Make sure you purchase your seeds from trusted sellers.
- When it comes to cloning, you have to ensure that the equipment you use is sterile. If you use dirty scissors, you might transfer pathogens from the scissors to the healthy plant, thereby making it unhealthy.
[STEPS ON HOW TO MAKE A DIY HUMIDITY DOME)
When it comes to owning a propagation kit, you have to ensure that you maintain the right humidity level and ensure that the environment inside the kit is suitable for plant growth. Below are the steps that will aid you in making a DIY humidity dome.
Firstly, you need to get two identical Tupperware. Place the cover on the first Tupper ware and place the second one on top of the closed one with its open part facing the bottom.
Make use of a glue gun to seal the upper Tupperware to the lid. Make sure that the glue doesn’t touch the bottom Tupperware.
Remove the upper Tupperware. By this time, the lid should be glued to it. Cute around the edges of the lid to remove the inner part.
For the bottom Tupperware, use tape around the edges. Use black paint, spray it, then take off the tape.
After doing all this, you then mist the bottom and place the plants inside. Place the second Tupperware on top of the bottom one, and this will act as the dome. You can open from time to time, depending on the ventilation needed for your plants to receive the right level of humidity.
It can be difficult to find a good quality propagation kit, so we decided to help by compiling a list of some of the best propagation kits available on the market. It doesn’t matter if you’re a novice or an expert; any one of the kits mentioned below will lessen the frustration of growing your cannabis. Let’s take a look at the list.
The Best Propagation Kit For Growing Weed Are Reviewed Below
We have carried out research and provided you with a list of the best propagation kit to grow weed in, along with their specifications, key features and pros, and cons. With this list, you should be able to choose a propagation kit without any hassles.
Super Sprouter HGC726403 Deluxe Propagation Kit
This kit provides you with everything you need to get your cuttings and seeds going. Maintaining the right environment for propagation can be difficult, so purchasing a set that makes the perfect environment for your plants is the best thing any cannabis grower can do.
This set is quite affordable, but it doesn’t include a heat mat, but the dome features an in-built light, tray, grow light, and instruction manual. It also has vents that help to control the humidity inside the kit. Once you receive this product, you can start placing your seeds or cutting and watch it come to life.
This propagation kit is excellent for beginners as it provided you with all you need to start cultivating cannabis. Since it doesn’t come with a heat mat, you’ll need to get a timer for the light and a temperature controller for the heat mat.
- Clear vented dome
- In-built light track
- Fluorescent grow light
- Double thick tray without holes
- A booklet on the art of propagation for advise
- Brand: Super Sprouter
- Model: Super Sprouter (HGC726403) Deluxe Propagation Kit
- Weight: 3.39 Pounds
- Dimensions: 22.6 * 11.7 * 8.7 inches
- Color: Clear and Black
- Mounting Type: Floor Standing
- It helps to germinate your seeds or cuttings quickly
- It has a solid bottom
- It allows you to chain up to eight of the light strip with just one plug
- It is able to handle large cuttings
- The top is a bit flimsy. It requires careful handling
- Some users complain about the lighting
Jump Start CK64060 Propagation Kit
In order for cannabis seeds or cuttings to grow, they need a specific environment to thrive in; they also need the right amount of light, heat, and humidity. Controlling these conditions can be hard due to the nature of the weather and the continually changing environment. However, thanks to this product from Hydrofarm, you don’t have to worry about the environment your plants will grow in.
This propagation kit can hold up to 72 seeds at once, and it can also handle the tall plants thanks to its 7.5-inch dome. It features a watertight base tray and a heat mat that helps to keep your seeds or cuttings warm and protected. However, this kit doesn’t come with a grow light, so you would have to purchase it separately if you intend on growing your cannabis plants indoors.
- 7-inch dome for growing taller plants
- Proper humidity control
- 72 cell seedling inserts
- 17 watts, 120 volts
- The heat mat is UL listed
- 11 * 22 inches watertight base tray
- Brand: Jump Start
- Model: Jump Start CK64060 Propagation Kit
- Weight: 2.6 Pounds
- Dimensions: 22 * 11 * 8 inches
- Color: Black and Clear
- Style: Hot House
- It helps to improve the germination time of your seedlings or cuttings
- The kit keeps the soil moist, so you don’t have to water regularly
- It is sturdy
- Some users have complained about the heat map not working properly
- Some reviewers complain that the hothouse is built from thin plastic
General Hydroponics Rapid Rooter Tray
If you prefer to grow your plants indoors, you will love this kit. It provides your plants with the nutrient they need. It comes with soil that has everything your plants need to grow well.
This kit comes with trays that are filled with organic compost materials. The soil also contains micro-nutrients that your seedlings need to thrive. The trays are made from plant-based polymers. The kit’s design ensures that it maintains the right level of oxygen, moisture, and temperature. It makes the right condition for propagating and germinating cannabis plants.
This kit comes with all that you will need to grow your cannabis plants. If you are inexperienced in mixing soil, then this kit will suit you well. It is an excellent kit for people who don’t have a place to get the soil to germinate their plants.
- Hydroponic trays for germinating your cannabis
- Soil dosed with nutrients
- 50 cell tray inserts
- Organic material bound by plant-derived polymers
- Optimal air to water ratio
- Brand: General Hydroponics
- Model: General Hydroponics Rapid Rooter Tray
- Weight: 1.7 Pounds
- Dimensions: 19.5 * 9.5 * 1.5 inches
- Color: Purple and Black
- Material: Tree Bark
- It comes with soil that contains all the nutrients your plants need to grow
- It comes in a storage bag for easy transportation
- It doesn’t come with a dome
- Some users have complained about receiving the kit with soaked soil, thereby leading to mildew
EarlyGrow 70738 Medium Domed Propagator
The EarlyGrow propagation kit is a great kit to own, especially if you don’t want any artificial method but want a controlled environment for your cuttings or seedlings. It features a bottom tray and a domed lid with two vents to help control the humidity level.
This kit can be used both indoors and outdoors. No matter where you place it, it will keep your plants safe from harsh weather conditions and insects. It is constructed from a durable and strong material that doesn’t warp or crack easily. Its large dome also allows your seedlings to grow without feeling restricted. Once the lid is on, it can be a bit difficult to remove, so be careful while handling the cover. This kit will provide you with all you need in a propagation kit, and you won’t have to worry about anything.
- Built from high-quality reusable plastic
- Heavy-duty pp tray
- The lid is made from new and improved material that is resistant to warping
- Brand: EarlyGrow
- Model: EarlyGrow 70738 propagator
- Weight: 1.25 Pounds
- Dimensions: 15 * 9 * 7 inches
- Color: Black and Dark Green
- It is made from a durable and strong material
- It features vents that help control humidity
- It is efficient in maintaining the right conditions for propagation
- The dome is high enough to allow seedlings to grow tall
- Some users have complained about the lid not fitting properly
KORAM 10-Pack Seed Starter Trays
If you intend on growing cannabis, then the easiest way to start is with this seed starter tray. This tray features seed growing pots. The pots keep the moisture and water that your seeds need to germinate. This kit is made to improve the humidity levels and maintain a constant and conducive soil temperature.
Transplanting your plants from this container is easy, thanks to its flexible container. You won’t have any fear of destroying your plants while you’re transplanting them into a larger space. This seed tray has excellent drainage that allows for rapid growth and a humidity lid that keeps the temperature and humidity at a constant level for your plants to thrive. This kit will provide you with a conducive environment for your seedlings or cuttings to grow.
- Efficient transfer of heat
- Flexible plastic
- Suitable for starters and saplings
- Six cell packs
- Drain holes located at the bottom
- Brand: KORAM
- Model: KORAM 10-Pack Seed Starter Trays
- Weight: 1.7 Pounds
- Dimensions: 7.28 * 5.5 * 5 inches
- Color: White and Black
- Depth: 5.0 inches
- It allows you to germinate different types of seeds at different growth rate
- It is great for humidity and temperature control
- Its flexibility allows easy plant transfer
- It comes with accessories for easy planting and transplanting
- The lid comes off easily
HONGVILLE Propagation Kit
If you want to grow more cannabis clones, then this kit is great for your needs. It allows you to grow up to 72 cuttings or seedlings. It comes with 72 cells.
The propagation tray itself is constructed from an ultra-durable material that is resistant to cracks. This allows you to reuse the kit; you can keep using it even after harvesting all your plants. This kit makes use of a watertight base to control soil moisture. The kit holds water quite tightly, which allows your plants to grow as they need.
It has a 5-inch dome that keeps the humidity level at an optimum by preventing any outside world interference. The dome for this kit is large enough for your plants to germinate and propagate before being transplanted to a larger grow area. It ensures that your plants have all they need to thrive.
It also features in-built vents that control the kit’s airflow to maintain the right temperature level conducive to your plants’ growth.
- High quality 72 cell starter tray
- Designed from heavy-duty, durable material
- In-built vents
- Brand: HONGVILLE
- Model: HONGVILLE Propagation Kit
- Weight: 1.85 Pounds
- Dimensions: 22 * 12 * 10.5 inches
- Color: Black and Clear
- It is ultra-durable
- It can contain many plants
- It provides you with perfect growing conditions
- Some users have complained about it being difficult to assemble
9GreenBox - Seedling Starter Trays
If you intend to grow a large number of seeds or cuttings, this multi-pack tray is for you. It is affordable and comes with 24 trays that have 144 cells. It allows you to plant all your seeds at once. It comes with plant labels that help you keep track of the variety of plants in each tray.
These cells are made to send room temperature evenly through the soil, while the drain holes located at the bottom of each cell make sure the roots are oxygenated. The main advantage of this tray is that its cells are flexible, making it easy to remove the seedlings without causing damage to their roots. They are made especially for optimum temperature for your seeds to thrive and reliable drainage. They are also quite sturdy.
- It comes with five plastic plant labels
- A single cell measures 1.5-inch square by 2.25 inch deep
- Drain holes located at the bottom of each cell
- Ideal size for transmission of room temperature
- 144 cells
- Brand: 9GreenBox
- Model: 9GreenBox – Seedling Starter Trays
- Weight: 12 Ounces
- Dimensions: 14 * 4 * 4 inches
- Color: Black
- Item Depth: 2.25 inches
- Mounting Type: Floor Standing
- It is affordable
- It is flexible while being durable
- It drains holes allow for optimum humidity and temperature levels
- It is easy to transplant out of this kit
- Wind can easily blow it over
Yield Lab 7 Inch Propagation & Humidity Vented Domes
This kit from Yield Lab is one of the best kits for propagation. It comes in a pack of five, which measure 7 * 20.75 * 10 inches. The doom is seven inches high, and this allows your plants to grow tall. The kit’s size also allows you to use basic 10 * 20 inches tray and heat mats. It is very easy to customize the kit to your preference.
It comes with a clear dome that makes it easy to keep an eye on your plants’ performance without having to open up the kit. Another great thing about this kit is that it comes with reusable trays, making them reliable and durable. You can always use the kit again, even after harvesting your plants.
Its vents are adjustable, allowing you to get the right humidity level that your plants need to grow. Thanks to this feature, it is easy to keep the humidity and temperature levels at an optimum level.
- Made from durable, sturdy plastic material
- Clear domes for easy visibility
- Reusable trays
- Adjustable vents
- Brand: Yield Lab
- Model: Yield Lab 7 Inch Propagation & Humidity Vented Domes
- Weight: 2.64 Pounds
- Dimensions: 22 * 11.5 * 9.5 inches
- Color: Clear and Black
- Mounting Type: Wall Mount
- It is durable
- It comes with humidity vents that help to maintain the right humidity levels
- The dome is high enough for you to plant cuttings or clones
Seedling Heat Mat, Seedfactor Germination Station
This product is a propagation station that comes in the form of a heat mat. The heat that the map generates is suitable for any plant to grow, and this can be anywhere from 70 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit.
The heat map is waterproof, so no matter how you water your plants, they won’t get wet. It also comes with a cover that has a multi-layer construction that makes it withstand different conditions. This product is available in four sizes, so you have to choose depending on the number of plants you intend on growing. The smallest size has an area of 3.5 * 21 inches, while the largest size measures 48 * 20 inches. The safety of this mat is assured thanks to it meeting MET standards. It is waterproof, fireproof, and energy-efficient.
- Certified by MET
- Available in four sizes
- Waterproof and fireproof design
- 7.5MM thick, 105 degrees, high temperature resistant cylindrical waterproof power cord
- Brand: Seedfactor
- Model: Seedling Heat Mat, Seedfactor Germination Station
- Weight: 15.1 Ounces
- Dimensions: 10.55 * 3.23 * 3.23 inches
- It is efficient
- They help to keep the root of your plant warm, thereby stimulating growth
- It is easy to use
- It could be a bit larger
SunBlaster SL1600205 Mini Greenhouse Kit
If you need a propagation kit that can handle a few plants, then this kit is for you. It doesn’t require a lot of money, but it will provide you with what you need. Your small farming needs will be taken care of.
This kit features a clear dome that keeps your plants thriving. If you enjoy growing your plants indoors, then it eliminates the issue of needing a grow light. This kit comes with fluorescent grow light. Its tray is durable and reusable for planting your cannabis.
It comes with an instruction booklet that provides you with all you need to germinate and propagate your plants. This kit will make your growing experience much more interesting.
- 1020 heavy-duty tray
- 7 inches vented dome
- LED strip lights
- Unique H pattern
- Brand: SunBlaster
- Model: SunBlaster Mini Greenhouse Kit (SL1600205)
- Weight: 3.6 Pounds
- Dimensions: 22 * 12 * 10 inches
- Color: Black and Clear
- It is easy to use
- It is great for small farming
- It includes everything you will need
- Some users have complained about it not properly trapping moisture
Buying Guide Questions
Is propagation the same as cloning? What are the differences?
Propagation is not the same as cloning. Plant cuttings known as clones are used to asexually propagate plants using a stem or root from the mother plant.
Cloning is the process of removing a part of a plant, a stem, or root from a mother plant to grow a whole new plant. Propagation is the act of breeding a plant by using natural processes.
How do you propagate clones?
Take a cutting such as a branch or stem from the mother plant and propagate it like a seed.
Can I clone straight into soil?
Yes, you can clone straight into the soil. That is how most growers get their plants. Ensure you spray the clones at least once a day.
Can you get seeds from a clone?
Yes, you can get viable seeds from a clone through a process called selfing. The female clone is induced to reproduce male flowers and is then fertilized to produce healthy cannabis seeds.
What are the 3 types of cloning?
The three types of cloning include gene cloning, therapeutic cloning, and reproductive cloning.
Why is plant cloning bad?
Plant cloning has its disadvantages that include production costs, and a single disease can kill the entire crop because they are identical.
Do clones lose potency?
The mother plant will never lose its potency, so clones do not lose their potency.
Do you need cloning gel to clone?
It is not necessary to use cloning gel. It may or may not help your roots to appear faster.
How long can you clone a mother plant?
You can get an unlimited number of clones from a mother plant but ensure the mother plant rest fr about two weeks between cloning.
Any weed cultivator will have to own the best propagation kit. The propagation kit provides your plants with a thriving environment. It allows you to grow your cannabis easily, and it also increases the chances that the seed germination will be successful. Ensure you consider the factors as to how they concern you, and then you can select a propagation kit that meets your needs.