Table of Contents
Lemon or Citrusy strains are popularly known for their intense energy that produces a sharp, citrusy scent and flavour. Ever since the Super Lemon Haze strain won the Cannabis Cup in 2008, these flavourful strains have gained the attention of weed connoisseurs. Producing a burst of aromas and flavours similar to many different fruits, including lemons, limes, oranges and grapefruits, these strains have become a favourite among many users, allowing them to pay more attention to flavour rather than THC potency.
Lemon scent in cannabis is mainly due to the presence of limonene, a terpene that also gives citrus fruits their aroma. Terpenes are aromatic compounds present in all plants, including cannabis plants. They are responsible for the various aromas produced by different marijuana strains and act as a molecular building block for these plants. Terpenes not only make cannabis smell incredible but also contributes to the healing benefits of cannabis.
Limonene, a terpene found in lemon strains, is known to help lift moods and reduce symptoms of anxiety or depression. It also reduces inflammation and strengthens the immune system. Limonene is usually associated with cannabis with high THC content; these lemon strains have a high THC level of over 19%. If you are a citrus lover, we have curated a list of the best lemon weed strains that are sure to fill your buds with goodness.
Lemon Tree or Lemon Tree Kush is an evenly-balanced hybrid strain created by crossing Lemon Skunk and Sour Diesel strains. Both parent strains individually have bold effects and flavours, which, when bred together, produce this balanced strain that is ideal for both novice and expert users. It is also prescribed to patients experiencing chronic pain and inflammation. Lemon Tree strain has attracted so much attention because of its incredible flavour. It fills your nose with a fresh lemon aroma that hints at a pungent skunky smell and produces a sweet and sour taste. This strain is recommended for use midday because of the happy and relaxing effect it produces. It delivers a lucid euphoric effect that leaves the user very happy with a burst of energy.
As the name might have suggested, Lemon Cake produces a lemony and sweet taste that leaves behind a sour aftertaste on your tongue. It is a heavy sativa-dominant strain that’s also known as Lemon Cheesecake or Lemon Pound Cake. Created by Heavyweight Seeds, this strain is a cross between Lemon Skunk and Pungent Cheese strain. According to the European Company, Lemon Cake takes about 9 – 10 weeks to flower. This strain produces a pungent lemon smell that gives off a musky cheese undertone with notes of skunk. This strain is recommended to relieve stress, help with loss of appetite and physical discomfort. It has impressive THC levels ranging from 12% to 25%.
Lemon Haze is quite popular among lots of users. It is a sativa-dominant strain that gets its powerful aroma and potency from parent strains; Silver Haze and Lemon Skunk. It is a favourite to both indica and sativa fans because of the memorable citrus flavour it produces and its well-balanced, lasting effect. Its psychoactivity has been ranked between 12% and 25%, which is quite incredible. Lemon Haze buds are medium to large-sized and adhere in spherical chunks. The buds are covered in amber trichomes, giving off a slightly yellow glow. If cured properly, it produces a strong citrusy scent. The herb burns smoothly and is easily ingested; it gives off a herbal taste on exhale with a lemon aftertaste.
Clementine is a sativa-dominant hybrid strain that produces a very mellow but energizing effect. This strain was created by crossing Lemon Skunk with Tangie producing a sweet taste and citrusy aroma. It is known as a “fun strain” because it stimulates unconditional thoughts with very subtle high, keeping the user creative and relaxed. With a high THC level of 27%, some users recommend this strain for a wake and bake session or to activate your third eye. It can be recognized by its large flowers that taper down to form pointed buds. This chunky bid fills your nose with a bold mix of sharp citrus and skunky aroma. On exhale, the smoke produces a burst of flavour that leaves behind a chemical lemon aftertaste.
Golden Lemon (or Lemons) is an indica-dominant hybrid cross between Lemon Skunk and Jew Gold Cut. It has a consistent THC level of 23% and is best for users with more experience. For a slightly indica-dominant strain, Golden Lemon has an incredibly sedating effect; it produces a euphoric burst after a few puffs. Its nugs curl perfectly and are covered in golden trichomes.
Here are some more details and insights into lemon weed strains:
1. Flavor and Aroma Profiles
- Lemon strains are renowned for their citrusy scent and flavor, thanks to terpenes like limonene and beta-pinene. These contribute not only to the aroma but also to the strain’s effects.
- Different lemon strains have varying flavor nuances. For instance, Lemon Haze has a tangy and sweet taste, while Lemon Skunk offers a zesty aroma. Super Lemon Haze combines sweetness with citrus notes, appealing to many cannabis enthusiasts.
2. Medicinal Benefits and Uses
- Lemon strains are popular among medical cannabis users. Their uplifting and mood-enhancing properties make them suitable for stress relief, anxiety management, and combating symptoms of depression.
- Limonene, a terpene found in lemon weed is associated with therapeutic effects like mood enhancement and stress reduction. Beta-pinene also offers potential anti-inflammatory benefits, which might help with pain relief.
3. Growing Considerations
- When cultivating lemon strains, it’s essential to provide sufficient light and maintain optimal temperatures. This can be achieved with high-quality LED or HID lights indoors, or in a warm, sunny outdoor environment.
- Common challenges in growing these strains include pest infestations and nutrient deficiencies. Employing Integrated Pest Management (IPM) practices and proper nutrient supplementation can mitigate these issues.
- The harvesting period is critical to preserve the strain’s flavor and potency. Curing the buds properly, typically in glass jars, helps develop the full aroma and taste.
4. Pairing with Food and Beverages
- Lemon strains can be paired with certain foods and beverages . For example, lemon-infused desserts and tangy dishes complement the citrus flavor of these strains.
- Beverages like lemon-infused tea or lemonade can also pair well with these strains, enhancing their citrus notes.
5. Consumption and Effects
- Lemon strains are known for their potent effects, so new users are advised to consume them in moderation. The typical effects include euphoria, upliftment, and sometimes an energizing buzz, making them suitable for daytime use.
- Potential side effects can include the common cannabis-related issues like dry mouth or dizziness. Staying hydrated and consuming in moderation can help manage these effects.
Lemon strains give you more than just an incredible high; it provides your taste buds and sinuses with a burst of flavour and scent that can only be found in fruits. If you are looking to properly enjoy your smoking sessions and spice up your choice of strains, you can select from any of the best lemon strains above.
For more, read